[PSRList] World Refugee Day- RSTP BVOR office message

Rachel McNally mcnallrk at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 15:31:44 EDT 2017

Hello,

I wanted to share our positive experience with the BVOR program here in Atlantic Canada. Amid the Syrian crisis, our SAH went from sponsoring around one family a year to sponsoring around 70 families at once. With a very small cap size due to a small sponsorship program, this large number of sponsorships was made possible through mostly BVOR sponsorships which have no limit. Many of these BVOR sponsors were first-time sponsors in rural areas who do not have the connections with family members in their area to pursue family-linked sponsorships. The BVOR program both financially and logistically allowed many sponsors to participate who otherwise would not be involved. For the past two years, our PSR caps have increased to 40+ people. Now we are getting many more requests for family-linked sponsorships than we can fulfill, so I echo the sadness about caps and limits on private sponsorship numbers. However, overall the BVOR program has been great for our SAH, and of course for the dozens of families we have been able to welcome.

Rachel McNally