[PSRList] for help

Laura Hambleton lhambleton at rstp.ca
Mon Aug 14 10:24:17 EDT 2017

Dear Mohammad,

Thank you for your email. I'm very sorry to hear about your sister's health. The Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP) offers training and information to private refugee sponsors about refugee sponsorship, although we do not actually sponsor refugees. While we sympathize with your situation RSTP cannot match you with a sponsoring group, help you form a sponsoring group or release specific contact information of organizations which do sponsorships. However, the following information may be helpful.

Refugees abroad can be privately sponsored by a group of individuals in Canada in one of three ways.

1.    A refugee can be sponsored by a Group of 5. A Group of 5 is any five Canadian citizens or permanent residents who live in the same geographical area and have the financial ability to support the refugee or refugee family for one year. Groups of Five are only permitted to submit applications to sponsor refugees who have been formally recognized as refugees by either the UNHCR, or by the local government. RSTP can provide assistance to groups of five throughout the application process.

2.    A refugee can be sponsored by a Community Sponsor. A Community Sponsor is any registered Canadian organization or business, incorporated or not incorporated, which has the ability to financially support the refugee or refugee family for one year. Community Sponsors are only permitted to submit applications to sponsor refugees who have been formally recognized as refugees by either the UNHCR, or by the local government. RSTP can provide assistance to community sponsors throughout the application process.

3.    A refugee can be sponsored by a Sponsorship Agreement Holder (SAH)<http://www.rstp.ca/en/refugee-sponsorship/sponsorship-agreement-holders>. A SAH is an incorporated organization which has signed a formal agreement with the Government of Canada to allow them to sponsor refugees who have been formally recognized as refugees, but also individuals who have not been formally recognized but are in a "refugee-like situation".

If you would prefer to speak to each other on the telephone, I would be pleased to review the above information, and your particular situation, at any time. Please phone me at: 902-406-8736.

Warm regards,

Laura

Laura Jill Hambleton Atlantic Trainer Refugee Sponsorship Training Program

Located at Immigrant Services Association of Nova Scotia (ISANS)

Suite 2120, 6960 Mumford Rd, Halifax, NS, B3L 4P1