[PSRList] Edmonton RTSP Workshops -- September 27 & 28, 2016

Melissa Scott mscott at rstp.ca
Tue Sep 13 18:49:39 EDT 2016

Dear sponsorship community,

I'm writing to share with you that the Refugee Sponsorship Training Program (RSTP) is organizing multiple training sessions in Alberta later in September. We will be in Calgary delivering training sessions on Friday, September 23rd and Saturday, September 24th (see promotion sent September 13th). We would like to announce that we will also be in Edmonton delivering training sessions on Tuesday, September 27th and Wednesday, September 28th.

We are pleased to invite you, your fellow sponsoring group members and anyone else in your networks interested in the private sponsorship of refugees to attend the training sessions we will be delivering.

Please find the details of each session below:

1)      Sponsoring Refugees as a Group of Five or Community Sponsor

When:  Tuesday, September 27th 2016  5:45 PM - 8:30 PM

Where: Edmonton Intercultural Centre, 9538 - 107 Avenue (McCauley School), Edmonton, AB, T5H 0T7

This training session is for new sponsorship groups and interested community members who wish to form a Group of Five or submit an application as a Community Sponsor.
Join us and learn about:

*         Requirements for Group of Five and Community Sponsor group members;

*         Eligibility criteria for sponsored applicants;

*         The sponsorship process for Group of Five and Community Sponsor applications;

*         How to complete sponsorship application forms; and

*         Learn some of the most common reasons for applications being returned by the Centralized Processing Office in Winnipeg (CPO-W).

Interested participants are invited to register by Sunday, September 25th on Eventbrite at this link: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sponsoring-refugees-as-a-group-of-five-or-community-sponsor-tickets-27715339326?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text.

2)      Managing Expectations for Refugee Sponsors

When: Wednesday, September 28th 5:45 PM - 8:30 PM

Where: Stanley A. Milner Library (Edmonton Room), 7 Sir Winston Churchill Square, Edmonton, AB, T5J 2V4

This training session is intended for the private sponsors of refugees and will explore the following topics:

*             Managing expectations: What are sponsors' and refugees' expectations of each other and how can expectations be managed to avoid potential conflict?

*             Code of ethics for privately sponsoring groups: What are some ethical practices that private sponsors may wish to consider?

*             Power imbalance: How do power imbalances affect the relationship between sponsors and refugees and how can this be minimized?

Interested participants are invited to register by Monday, September 26th on Eventbrite at this link: http://www.eventbrite.com/e/refugee-sponsorship-workshop-managing-expectations-for-refugee-sponsors-tickets-27713353386<http://www.eventbrite.com/e/refugee-sponsorship-workshop-managing-expectations-for-refugee-sponsors-tickets-27713353386?aff=utm_source%3Deb_email%26utm_medium%3Demail%26utm_campaign%3Dnew_event_email&utm_term=eventurl_text>.

Attached you will find promotional flyers for each of these training workshops. We would greatly appreciate if you could share them with everyone throughout your networks who might be interested in attending.

Please do not hesitate to contact me or my colleague Ekaterina (epak at rstp.ca<mailto:epak at rstp.ca>) if you have any questions. We look forward to offering these workshops in Edmonton and hope to see you there.

Best regards,

Melissa

Melissa Scott | RSTP Trainer | Refugee Sponsorship Training Program
Catholic Crosscultural Services | 55 Town Centre Court, Suite 401, Scarborough, ON  M1P 4X4
Tel: 416-290-1700<tel:416-290-1700> Ext. 405 | Toll-free: 1-877-290-1701<tel:1-877-290-1701>  | Fax: 416-290-1710<mailto:416-290-1710>  | mscott at rstp.ca<mailto:mscott at rstp.ca>
www.rstp.ca