[PSRList] Dental care for privately-sponsored Syrians

Marc Carruthers mwcarruthers at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 17:39:35 EST 2016

Hi, just wondering if anyone can clarify exactly what dental services are
covered under IFHP for Syrian refugees (now permanent residents, since
arriving about six weeks ago).  I checked their IFHP confirmation documents
but there is no specific mention of dental services.  However, in the link
below it says that 'emergency dental exams, dental X-rays and extractions'
are covered (dated Dec 2015).  I assume this applies to both children and
adults?  Our sponsored family has not seen a dentist for several years, and
we would like them all to have check-ups.  However, only one of the
children has been reporting any problems with her teeth.  Would she be the
only who might be considered an 'emergency' and all the others would have
to pay for routine check-ups?  I spoke to someone at Medavie-Blue Cross but
they could not answer that question.  Instead they referred me to a long
list of dentists here in London who accept IFHP patients (but are not
necessarily taking new patients right now).  Should I start calling
individual dentists on the list, or would I be better off calling Western
University which apparently has dental students who provide low-cost
treatments?  Thanks for any advice.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/pub/IFHP-eng.pdf