[PSRList] Syrian Refugee Trip Abroad

Lauren Lallemand llallemand at ccrweb.ca
Thu Jul 28 10:11:03 EDT 2016

Hello Michel,

I had a couple of thoughts to pass along, although I am sure others will
also have suggestions.

First, it is best to wait until the refugee has their PR card if they've
been sponsored. This will facilitate their re-entry into Canada and
avoid some hassle overseas. For more info see here
<http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=064&top=10>.

Second, an accepted refugee is not supposed to use their passport from
their country of origin. This is because it is considered "reavailing
themselves of the protection of their country of nationality" and can be
grounds for cessation and vacation of refugee protection. While this was
more common under the previous Conservative government, it is important
to know that there is a risk associated with it. For more info see here
<http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/refugees/vacation/index.asp>.
To avoid this problem, the refugee can apply for a refugee travel
document
<http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/tools/perm/protect/travel.asp>.
Depending on what documents they have, it could be as quick as a few
months to obtain. However, if they are missing documents, or if the
application is filled out incorrectly, that wait time could be longer.

Lastly, I am unsure if the refugee you mentioned ever spent time in
Lebanon as a refugee or registered there with the UNHCR. The Lebanese
government reserves the right to refuse entry to any person who
registered as a refugee in their country within the past 5 years. It is
not clear where the government gets their list of registered refugees
but you never know who is on it or not. In my previous job it only
happened to a couple of clients, but you would have to decide if you
were going to inform the refugee of the possibility of problems at the
customs counter in Beirut. It seems ridiculous because the refugee now
has a permanent status in Canada and has no reason to settle in Lebanon,
but I suppose you never know.

Anyway, I hope this has been helpful.

Best wishes,

Lauren Lallemand

Canadian Council for Refugees
Conseil canadien pour les réfugiés
6839 Drolet #301
Montréal, Québec, H2S 2T1
514-277-7223 (x 110)
llallemand at ccrweb.ca
http://ccrweb.ca

Proud to protect refugees | Fière de protéger les réfugiés

llallemand at ccrweb.ca
http://ccrweb.ca

Proud to protect refugees | Fière de protéger les réfugiés