[PSRList] G5 Winnipeg Process

Omar Abdi omarahmed02 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:51:31 EDT 2014

Sara,

Thank you very much for the detailed reply. Just to point out that the CPOW
backlog does actually go beyond last year. I am aware of applications that
were submitted in 2012 and have not still gotten the decision from
Winnipeg.

I do understand the reasons for such delays such as human resources
shortages but a backlog of about 2 years for within Canada processing is
just too much to bear for a G5. If anything, I would think that CIC needed
to encourage the G5 applications more than anything else. These delays are
not only detrimental to the enthusiasm of the group but also painful to the
refugee applicant. As opposed to the previous regime where the refugee
applicant would only wait for a long time to hear from the embassy, the
current regime puts a lot of test to both the G5 and the refugee as they
both wait for long time to know if the application has been accepted or not.

In my opinion, the current status does not reflect the intentions for which
the CIC rules were changed including moving all the in-Canada processing to
Winnipeg. Why would an approval stage of a processing take so long? It is
hard to bite that shortage of staff is the only reason.

I am not sure what avenue the G5 can use to show their concerns to CIC. It
would be great if RSTP could perhaps give us some hints on how to share
these concerns. I am not sure if the G5 issues gets addressed in the SAH
meetings and conferences. I remember asking the SAH council to send me the
conference presentations that took place in Halifax recently but it was
made to sound that it was private.

Omar